Maximum <span class="highlight">solar</span> <span class="highlight">panel</span> size without regulator

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 08:38
ThreadID: 99176 Views:3345 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for a small solar panel to keep battery topped up a bit when camped for a couple of days. REPCO currently have a 6 W one for $40. Just wondering at what wattage does a regulator become necessary?
Tried search but there's a swillion posts on solar panel.
Thanks in advance for any responses.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: daz (SA) - Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 09:19

Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 09:19
Hi Moose,
What is the battery being used for whilst camping? If it is to run a compressor fridge etc 6 watts will do very little. I am traveling WA at the present & use a 120 watt folding panel with a MPPT controller that came with it. I would think a 6 watt panel would not need a regulator.
Daz
AnswerID: 499180

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 10:26

Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 10:26
Yep 120w panels and regulator are only around $200 on Ebay so 6w for $40 is not very good.
FollowupID: 775139

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 09:44

Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 09:44
I think it will depend upon what you are using the battery for (as mentioned above). Lights only then it would be worth a try.

I have a 2W panel to keep my boat batteries (2) charged and I have been using it for three years. My batteries are always fully charged when I go out.

I think a small panel will only be good for this kind of light useage.

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 499182

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 11:46

Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 11:46
hi the mighty moose
i agree with bbuzz those small panels are strickly for trickle charging a battery while the vehicle/boat /car/tractor etc is parked up and 4-5-6watt dont require a controller
i use a 12watt panel to keep my large deep cycle camper trailer battery charged while its stored but that has a charge controller
but if your going to run a fridge plus some other appliance like said you need a decent panel that will pump some power back into the battery and be at least equal or more than the drawn amps or it will very quickly go flat and not all days are full on sunny
i have a 4 watt panel permantly mounted on the combing rail between my cabs on the bravo and it does an excellent job trickle feeding the 2 batterys while its not been driven
but i have an 80watt folding portable panel that i take camping when i run the 40ltr engel off the second battery and that system has proven itself and works great for my purposes
but i dont have kids opening the fridge every hour to get a cold drink and i'm not drinker myself
so not stocking the fridge with unchilled cans either
you have to weigh up the situations that the solar panel has to service every ones situation is quiet different
if you have a family you will probably find a 120watt panel would be the better option in your case
hope this has been usefull
cheers
FollowupID: 775145

Reply By: garrycol - Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 11:20

Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 11:20
In a camping situation this panel will be useless but if for keeping batteries charged when stored may be helpful. Even this small panel will have a very basic regulator installed most likely as part of the cigarette lighter plug - it will as a minimum stop the battery discharging through the panel at night and at best provide 14v to the battery.
AnswerID: 499188

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 11:20

Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 11:20
What do you want to use it for?
AnswerID: 499189

Follow Up By: garrycol - Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 12:20

Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 12:20
Is in the first sentence of the original post.
FollowupID: 775152

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 13:37

Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 13:37
The controller is there to stop the panel continuing to deliver charge to the battery once that's fully charged. Even a little 6W one will deliver 1/3 amp which, without a controller, could eventually lead to battery damage if the battery isn't being used. It will harvest about 2Ah per day if you keep it aimed roughly at the sun.

A 6W panel really isn't even big enough to be a toy! Suggest work out how many amphours you need each day, and look for a panel big enough to provide that, plus a margin for inefficiencies and cloudy days. If you are running a fridge you'll need over 100W of panels, if just a few small LED lights for an hour or 2, maybe 2 or 3 Ah.

As others have said, these little panels are useful to maintain charge in a battery that's not being used, but far too small to be useful otherwise.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 499193

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 14:30

Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 14:30
Couldn't agree more those 6W etc panels are a complete ripoff. For that kind of money you could get 30W or more.
FollowupID: 775158

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 17:56

Sunday, Nov 25, 2012 at 17:56
Moose,

When we lived on a station, I used a 36W panel to charge a 12v starting battery, to run both an HF and UHF radios. Both radios were on all day, and up to 10pm, and never used a regulator.

Battery life was probably in excess of 2 years, but had to recharge the battery sometimes, after heavy HF use. Once we got the phone on, and a UHF repeater, then only the UHF was connected to the battery.

Purchased the above panel, a Solarex, in early '80's, and from memory it was nearly $700. How cheap they are these days!!!

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 499199

Sponsored Links